Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Strategic plan and priorities
The City of Northfield’s strategic plan set Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as one of our six priorities.
A community that welcomes everyone:
- Increased transit options for all
- Staff and volunteers reflect community
- Improved access to City services for all demographics
In July 2020, we adopted a Racial Equity Action Plan. We developed this plan because:
- It is a way to be intentional about institutional culture change.
- It will help us to design strategies to focus improvements. Developing racial equity plans and tools with all departments will help us better include racial equity as a factor in delivery of services and budgeting.
- Institutional racism is something ingrained into the fabric of many institutions in the United States. For the City, racial equity is about exploring our practices, service delivery and policies to help find ways to make our institution more racially equitable.
- Having a racial equity action plan will keep this work a priority for the City as we carry out our work and create our budgets.
Demographics and community profile
Human Rights Commission
The City of Northfield has a Human Rights Commission whose purpose is to secure for all citizens equal opportunity in employment, housing, public accommodations, public services and education and full participation in the affairs of this community by assisting the state department of human rights in implementing the state human rights act and by advising the city council on long range programs to improve community relations in the city. (Code 1986, § 260:10)
Interested in serving on the Human Rights Commission?
If you suspect of a discrimination case, contact the Minnesota Department of Human Rights:
Discrimination Helpline 1-833-454-0148
City ID Card
The City of Northfield established an identification card issued by the City at the Northfield Public Library to provide to the community an alternative identification to access city programs, services, and activities, and provide a means to substantiate a person's identity.
Organizations and groups in the community
Northfield has a variety of community organizations and groups working on diversity, equity and inclusion.
Link Services (Northfield Public Library)
October is Global Diversity Month. Northfield staff shared their family stories to celebrate.