Mayor for a Day
About the contest
The City of Northfield Mayor for a Day Essay Contest is a program to engage local 4th and 5th grade students in civic engagement through a written essay contest.
Announcement of winners
Mayor for a Day Essay Contest recipients will be announced and awarded by the Mayor at our annual State of the City event on Monday, March 16, 2020.
Top three winning entries for eligible 4th and 5th grade students will receive the following award benefits:
- $20.00 Chamber gift check
- Certificate of recognition signed by the Mayor and the Mayor Pro Tem
- News release and photo (optional with parental consent) of the recipient
- Display of winning essay at City Hall and the Northfield Public Library
- Recognition at the annual State of the City event
- Ride the City of Northfield float in the Defeat of Jesse James Days Parade
To participate in nominations and be eligible for the Mayor for a Day Essay Contest, individuals must:
- Be a 4th or 5th grade student that reside within Northfield Area School District
- Have completed the essay on their own
- Be handwritten (accommodations will be made for individuals who cannot hand write entries)
- Past winners are eligible
Mayor Rhonda Pownell and Mayor Pro Tem Clarice Grenier Grabau will select winning essays.
Winning essays will be selected based on creativity, originality and legibility.
Deadline for essays
March 2, 2020
Use form to write your essay.
Return completed essay contest forms to:
2020 Mayor for a Day Essay Contest
c/o Michelle Mahowald, Communications & Human Resources Director
801 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057-2598