2018 Pedestrian, Bike, Trail System
Please contact Streets and Parks Manager Tim Behrendt with any questions regarding the Pedestrian, Bike and Trail System report.
Please use interactive map to leave comments to tell us where the most important gaps in the walking and biking network are located, and where other problem spots are for walking and bicycling. This input will help the project team make recommendations about how to make Northfield more bikeable and walkable.
As part of the 2017 Strategic Plan, the City of Northfield identified a strategic initiative to update its pedestrian, bike, and trail system map. The current Parks, Open Space and Trail System Plan map was adopted in 2008 and is included as an amendment to the City's Comprehensive Plan.
This update should review and propose recommended revisions to current plans and policies to create a safe and connected system for recreation and transportation within the City of Northfield. The update will evaluate trails, sidewalks, and on-street facilities for walking and biking including:
- identifying system gaps
- establishing a route for the Mills Towns State Trail within the City
- updating and extending the Safe Routes to School plan to include Northfield High School and Arcadia Charter School
- planning a network of walking and bicycling facilities
The goal of this update is to plan, build and maintain a network of safe and connected trails and street facilities for people of all ages.
We are hosting a variety of community meetings and an online survey in an effort to talk to as many community members as possible. Based on your feedback, we’ll recommend a final route for the Mill Town State Trail through Northfield and identify and prioritize bike way gaps in the city. Join us at one of the following community meetings to learn,discuss, and prioritize bicycle and trail system goals.
- Saturday, September 15, 2018 at Riverwalk Market Fair, 9 a.m.-noon
- Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at Greenvale Park Elementary, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at NCRC/Fifty North,9-11 a.m., Northfield City Hall, 6-8 p.m.